Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Introducing Robin!




Hi!  I’m Robin, of House of Cassady. I’m the newest resident goldsmith to join the studio, and am so excited to have joined such a creative, vibrant and friendly environment.  I have newly returned to Toronto (my home town!), after spending 18 years in the United Kingdom, which is where I did most of my training in goldsmithing. 


I have been making jewellery for about 15 years, and have made a number of commissions for people (some of which are pictured below).



A client's piece of raw amber, that they wanted to have made into a pendant, so I made a sterling silver crocheted cage for it.
 
Sterling silver riveted cufflinks with a scratch finish and oxidised recess
Sterling silver and 9ct rose gold with opal triplets and round faceted sapphires made for a client on the Isle of Harris in the outer Hebrides of Scotland-inspired by the beaches and seaweed when I visited about two years ago.

 I spent a number of years exploring different techniques and getting to know the kind of style I most enjoy, with most of my inspiration coming from the world around me in nature, and science.  I love more organic shapes, texture and colour, and try to mix these elements up in my different pieces.

If you pop into the store sometime soon, you’ll be able to see my inaugural collection, inspired by immune cells (which I used to work on).  The original ideas for some of these pieces (pictured below) came from an initiative to blend science and art, a collaboration between the Edinburgh University and the Edinburgh College of Art (where I was living and working at the time in Scotland). 
 
Sterling silver asymmetric earrings in an oxidised finish with 

needle felted insert.


Delicate sterling silver roller printed hollow domes, in varying finishes on delicate silver bead effect chains


 Sadly, the initiative never quite got off the ground. However, the germ of an idea was born, and has culminated in a whole range of shapes that I use as base components.  The components underlie the unique, sterling silver contemporary pieces I have been making, incorporating gemstones, and needle felt.


No comments:

Post a Comment