Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Craigslist surprise

Hi guys!

This is my story about an interesting incident that happened last week, during my search for the perfect display case. (The display case is a story unto itself, so if you want to know more about that just let me know.)

I have been obsessively searching through Craigslist and Kijiji, because I am/was on the hunt for a display cabinet, a showcase for my jewellery, that can travel with me to sales/shows/events. My search words were exactly this: "jewellery display cabinet". Scrolling down, my eyes were suddenly transfixed by this image:


I was so perplexed to see this pendant 'for sale' on Craigslist, that I stared blankly at the screen for a silly amount of time. It is a necklace that I made in my last year of the Jewellery Arts program at George Brown, that was subsequently displayed during our grad show event. But to see this piece completely out of context, after years of being apart, was a bit of a surprise. And then I realized that it was an ad for Jewel Envy, using a provided-by-me image no less, and then I was no longer surprised.

I am telling you this because it was a good moment; to reflect on past work, and to realize that although my style has evolved, the backbone of my goldsmithing esthetic has stayed true. I am still very happy with this design, and the same cannot always be said about my other creations (my self-critic has a loud voice!) But in the end my design professor knew her stuff - with the right amount (usually a HUGE amount) of ideation, development, and refinement, you will be able to create a piece that will stand the test of time. Lesson learned, again!

So back to the sketchbook I go, and I will leave you with a proper image of the above piece:


Burst pendant - sterling silver with 14k yellow gold accent
custom-cut sujilite cabochon
sterling silver rolo chain

Happy designing y'all!
~sash


No comments:

Post a Comment