Sunday, December 21, 2014

Shop local and everyone will have a happy holidays!

Are you still looking for last minutes gifts? I'm not judging, I still have shopping to do!

This year I have made an effort to buy from small and local businesses. I have shopped at the shows that I have participated in, with pretty good success too. I feel good knowing that I'm not just buying a cool, handmade gift, I'm also helping someone in my community to have a better holiday too. "Advocates say that locally owned stores spend proportionately more on payroll than chains and that buying local will save jobs. Plus, for every $100 spent at a locally owned store, $45 remains in the local economy, compared with about $13 per $100 spent at a big box." (Read more here.) Plus, "Non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from smaller business owners than they do from large businesses." (Read more here.) Small business owners are rooted in our communities, they live and love here. The money that they earn stays here, and they are more likely to support charities that are close to their hearts.

If you still have some last minute gifts to buy, why not stop into that local artisan store? Roncesvalles has tons of independent shops, everything from kitchen goods, handmade cards and gifts, to clothing, and of course jewellery. If you're one of those people that waits until Dec 22 to do all of your shopping, Roncesvalles is one-stop shopping. That beats a mall any day!

Here is Roncesvalles business directory: www.roncesvallesvillage.ca/business-directory/

Happy holidays!
Amanda
Jewelust

P.S. If you are one of those people that already have your shopping finished, please tell me how you do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment